We enjoy simplicity in all areas of our lives. Simple food. Simple loving relationships. Minimal home decor. You get the picture, the less complicated our lives can be the better. Grey is more natural in the area of cut and dry simplicity. At times, I get myself into a pickle by putting too much on my plate. So…(for me) it is definitely an ongoing project to make sure the way I spend my time is in line with my 4-5 “important things.” (I found this great idea on zenhabits.net.)
For us, simplifying our lives begins by making a list of what is important to us and then (trying) to eliminate everything else that does not fit into those 4-5 categories. I find that making a list does two important things: 1) keeps me focused on what I want to shape my life. 2) eliminates things that waste my time that somehow try to sneak in without a list to keep me focused…like hours of facebook, youtube, and pinterest.
1. GOD– Meditation, reading our bible, fellowship, and prayer is at the top of our list because our relationship with the Lord affects our marriage, parenting skills, finances, peace, and all of our decisions throughout the day.
2. Family Time- This includes date nights, sit down family dinners, playtime, family trips and vacations, or just sitting and talking with family and extended family. For us building strong family relationships comes down to how much time we devote to spending time with each other. Learning about, caring, and helping each other is really important.
3. Health-this comes in many forms and is not simply diet and exercise (though that is a major part of it.) Health means making sure we are getting enough sleep. Sometimes I think how much more I could get done if I didn’t have to sleep–but it is absolutely necessary for health, immunity, and overall well-being, so we devote 8-9 hours a day to sleep.
Meal preparation (chopping up veggies for snacks, stocking our cupboards with fruit, and healthy ingredients to make meals) takes a considerable amount of time, but is also important to us.
4. Creativity-This can come in many forms, but it is important to both of us. Grey expresses creativity through design in the garden, at work, or helping me with ideas for this space online. I enjoy photography, creating new recipes, and writing.
5. Ministry- Seriously, I wish that this one was closer to the top of my list, but I sometimes get too caught up in what’s going on in my own circle of friends and family that I forget to reach out to new people and just love ‘em. I know for me, as a believer, this is my greatest call.*
In the midst of our “busyness” it seems like we have all the time in the world–but we don’t. How are we spending those few precious days we have? Hmmmm???
Happy Saturday, friends.
Love, Grey & Brianna
*Romans 13:8 Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.
Galatians 5:13 For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.
Ephesians 4:2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love,
1 Peter 1:22 Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart.
1 John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God.