I wanted to give an update on our chicken flock since we brought home our first little chicks last Thursday.
Since last Thursday…
- We added six red pullets to our flock. They are absolutely adorable! (probably not as adorable as my Lucy,) but I still love them and want to hold them every chance I get.–That makes fifteen chickens!
- Our yellow (or white) chicks have decided to sprout tail feathers out of nowhere.
- We have gone through 10 lbs of feed so far.
- Currently we are still just planning the coop but have yet to actually start building (this makes me so nervous because they just keep growing!)
- We thought Lucy wasn’t going to make it, but she’s making an excellent recovery.
Things we have learned so far:
- Chicks grow at an exponential rate.
- They don’t like being held as much when they get older.
- Chicks like to kick shavings into their water making it absolutely necessary to change their water every day.
- There is always someone at the bottom of the pecking order. 😦
- Chickens need to be buttoned up tight, to protect them from predators….and sweet jack russells that find them incredibly irresistible (I do forgive you Ty.)
- When bantam chicks stretch their neck out they kind of look like baby ostriches.
Hope all is well, friends!
Love, Grey and Brianna.