Grey and I have been enjoying the beginnings of autumn. Stores have started selling pumpkins, we’ve made our first pumpkin dessert, and burned our first deliciously fall smelling candle of the season. In the beginning of October I plan to put my extensive fall decorating list to use, on our little house. I need to get pumpkins…and ribbon…and lights…and faux fall leaves…and the list never ends. Hopefully when we are all done decorating, I can share it here. Meanwhile Grey and I have been busy in the kitchen. We finally canned all the pears Grey brought home from the cabin.
We made Spiced Brandied Pears. A perfect recipe to continue our entering fall, it has lots of yummy fall tasting spices: cinnamon stick, whole cloves, apple cider, and candied ginger!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. If you are just beginning your canning journey, check out what is needed to start canning.
Prep: 40 minutes Process 20 minutes Makes: 6 pints
Ascorbic acid color keeper
1 cup cranberry juice
3 cups apple cider
1 ½ cups honey
1/2 cup lemon juice
3 TBS chopped candied ginger
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
½ TSP whole cloves
¼ cup brandy
1)Wash, halve, and core pear.*
2) Place pears in ascorbic acid color keeper solution as soon as halved and cored.
3) In a 6-8 quart kettle or pot combine cranberry juice, honey, lemon juice, candied ginger, stick cinnamon, and whole cloves.
4) Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
5) Simmer, uncovered for about 5 minutes or until pears are almost tender, stirring occasionally.
6) Pack hot pears into hot, sterilized pint canning jars, leaving ½ inch headspace. Cover with hot syrup, leaving a ½ inch headspace.
7) Wipe jar rims; adjust lids.
9) Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks.
*pears can be peeled if desired, Grey and I prefer to leave it on for the nutritional benefits.
For dessert: over pastries, with ice cream or yogurt. For breakfast: with pancakes, waffles, or along side a healthy bran muffin. For the holidays: give canned for a gift.
Hope your day is filled with yummy smelling candles and fall-time decorations.
Love, Grey and Brianna