Yesterday was officially the first day of fall. Today when I woke up it was cloudy, and it smelled like rain. I don’t really know how to describe my ecstatic-school-girl-over-the-top-enthusisim for this time of year, but it’s awesome. Grey is away hunting with family all day and I’m praying for a buck so we can make venison stuffed pumpkins. 🙂
We did make a yummy chicken dish last night: Pesto quinoa with broccoli, chicken, and mushrooms. Grey and I, both, love quinoa for the taste, as well as the amazing nutritional qualities. Quinoa has as much protein as most beans and legumes and is actually a complete protein all by itself. This dish is a great post-workout dinner or lunch. We threw in some sun-dried tomatoes to add to the (yum!) factor and some kale to boost the (this is really good for me!) part of the dish. Hope you enjoy!
3 cups of water
1 ½ cups dry quinoa
1 TBS olive oil
Two large stalks of fresh kale (about 3 cups chopped)
4 Crimini mushrooms, coarsely chopped.
½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, dry-pack
4 cloves of garlic, minced.
2 chicken breasts, cooked
1 crown of broccoli
12 oz pre-made pesto
1 TSP sea salt
½ TSP black pepper
¼-1/3 cup fresh grated parmesan
1. Boil water on the stove top over high heat
2. Add the quinoa and olive oil. Return to a boil, then let simmer for 25 minutes, or until quinoa has absorbed most of the liquid. Add mushrooms, garlic, chicken, pre-made pesto, and sun-dried tomatoes to quinoa. Stir to combine everything. Set aside.
3. Coarsely chop kale, and broccoli.
4. Steam kale and broccoli for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add kale and broccoli to the quinoa mixture and stir to combine over low heat.
6. Add parmesan, salt and pepper.
Serve with dark red grape or cherry juice…or a nice red wine. 😉
Hope you are just as excited for fall-time as I am…because it’s here!
Love, Grey and Brianna