Who doesn’t love sweet steamy waffles topped with fresh fruit in the morning? Grey and I love this recipe for 3 reasons: 1) It is 100% whole wheat 2) It only makes one large Belgium waffle…which translates to ½ for him, ½ for me 3) It contains no sugar. It is also very simple to make, and very adaptable…want thinner batter? Add more water…want thicker…add less. See? Simple!
Today, Grey and I are going to be “out and about” running errands and this was the perfect start of a busy day.
¾ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup rolled oats
2 TBS olive oil
1 TBS vanilla
¾ cup water
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground allspice
For the topping:
- In a medium bowl, combine whole wheat flour, rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and allspice.
- Whisk in water slowly, until it is at the desired consistency.
- Add vanilla, and olive oil. Whisk
- Pour batter onto a hot waffle iron, and cook according to the iron’s instructions.
- Top with fresh strawberries, sliced bananas, and honey
Serve with a eggs for a complete breakfast. Don’t forget your favorite morning beverage (coffee? Tea?) 🙂
For a printable version of this recipe, click here.
Grey and Brianna